Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chalk Art and Big Dreams

I had a few big goals lined up for 2011. The first one was to participate in the Sketchbook Project. It was a lofty goal to do something completely different from my norm. However, it was too far from my norm and I stood like a deer in headlights at the pristine, little book. Alas, it still sits on my shelf, untouched, except for the place I entered my name, and mocks me every day that it did not get to go on the grand tour with all the other lovingly embellished books. Perhaps in time I'll find the courage and inspiration to make it up to the little book.

Goal number two was to get into a craft show. I DID it! I'll be exhibiting this fall at the Horseshoe Craft & Flea Market. I am super excited! I'll be making lots of Halloween decorations over the next several months to get ready. There is one more show this summer as well, if you get a chance to check it out, do!


The third goal was to participate the Denver Chalk Art Festival. Two outta three ain't bad, right? =) I had the pleasure of working on a collage of The Fifth Element with one of my very best friends, Steve Oatney (and his beautiful girlfriend Defne). We started talking about how we would like to participate as we were walking around the festival last year. So I put that on the goals list for this year and I am so glad I did. It was so much fun working in an actual art medium, rather than a computer, on my favorite film with my best friend.

The square was one of the smallest, a 6x6'. We had a great location in the shade on Larimer, and even though the pavement we had to work on was less that stellar, it worked out just fine! We didn't win any awards, but it got me all pumped up to do more drawing and illustration. Here are some pics of the finished piece. Enjoy.









3 comments:

Steve Oatney said...

GREAT FUN!!! Glad to team up with you for such an amazing and creative weekend! We must start making plans for next year! :-)

Jacynthe said...

How fun for you to show your stuff at the market!!! Never been there and hope I can go to the summer and fall one. Way to go Idaho!!!!!

Pilgrim said...

Hi, I am going to encourage you to finish the sketchbook and send it in. It was really a lot of fun. I did my first one with the 2011 project. I do not draw, so I collaged pictures from my various trips around the world. Your chalk art would be great in your book. Take care